PhD Student in Interaction Design | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | Stockholm, Sweden
As part of a five year PhD (80% research, 20% teaching), I’m investigating Implicit Interaction by way of Research through Design. Supervised by Ylva Fernaeus (KTH), Barry Brown (SU), Anna Ståhl (RISE), and Alex Olwal (Google).
On parental leave from May 2019 through February 2020.
MFA in Interaction Design | Umeå Institute of Design | Umeå, Sweden
My thesis The Family Circuit: A New Narrative of Domesticity sought to critique and challenge society’s relationship with energy through a near-future speculative fiction that asked “what if you were required to produce all the energy you desire to consume?”
BS in Architecture (High Honors) | University of Virginia | Charlottesville, VA, United States
Pursued design studios and electives that focused on kinetic and robotic architectural systems explored through fabrication technologies, physical prototyping and parametric modeling.
Mar 2015 – Dec 2016
Senior Interaction & Service Designer | Zebra Technologies | London, UK
An enterprise IoT company that builds tracking technology and solutions. Service Design Lead for Transportation & Logistic co-creation projects, ethnographic and user research across enterprise and consumer industries within UK and USA, and User Experience Designer for cross-platform interfaces. Led internal cross-disciplinary workshops on future product development and strategy, and co-managed a Service Design Intern.
May 2007 – Dec 2013
Interaction Designer & Front End Developer | Self-employed | Washington, DC
Jan 2011 – June 2013
Interaction Designer & Front End Developer | The John F. Kennedy Center | Washington, DC
The United States’ busiest performing arts facility. Worked part-time in-house in an agile environment. Lead user experience designer and front-end developer of the Center’s first mobile website, and lead developer and information architect for lobby directional and educational interfaces.
Aug 2007 – Dec 2007
Architectural Design Assistant | Future Cities Lab | Charlottesville, VA
An experimental design studio and architectural think tank. Assisted in the fabrication of a kinetic installation project (VIVISYS) displayed in Chicago and part of the Grow [DC] team in the History Channel’s City of the Future competition.
May 2007 – Dec 2007
Digital Information Designer | The Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities | Charlottesville, VA
University of Virginia research unit developing information technology as a tool for scholarly humanities research. Roles included user research, information architecture, and web design and development.
Forthcoming – Karey Helms, Pedro Ferreira, Barry Brown, Airi Lampinen. 2020. Away and (Dis)connection: Reconsidering the Use of Digital Technologies in Light of Long-term Outdoor Activities. ACM International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP 2020), Sanibel Island, Florida, USA.
Forthcoming – Pedro Ferreira, Karey Helms, Barry Brown, Airi Lampinen. 2019. From Nomadic Work to Nomadic Leisure Practice: A Study of Long-term Bike Touring. ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW 2019), Austin, Texas, USA.
Karey Helms. 2019. Do You Have to Pee? A Design Space for Intimate and Somatic Data. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2019), San Diego, California, USA. (Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, top 2% of submissions)
Karey Helms, Ylva Fernaeus. 2018. Humor in Design Fiction to Suspend Disbelief and Belief. ACM Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI 2018), Oslo, Norway.
Karey Helms, Barry Brown, Magnus Sahlgren, and Airi Lampinen. 2018. Design Methods to Investigate User Experiences of Artificial Intelligence. AAAI 2018 Spring Symposium Technical Report (The Design of the User Experience for Artificial Intelligence), Stanford, California, USA.
Magnus Sahlgren, Erik Ylipää, Barry Brown, Karey Helms, Airi Lampinen, Donald McMillan, Jussi Karlgren. 2018. The Smart Data Layer. AAAI 2018 Spring Symposium Technical Report (Artificial Intelligence for the Internet of Everything), Stanford, California, USA.
Karey Helms. 2017. Leaky Objects: Implicit Information, Unintentional Communication. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2017), Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Tom Jenkins, Karey Helms, Vasiliki Tsaknaki, Ludvig Elblaus, and Nicolai B. Hansen. 2018. Sociomateriality: Infrastructuring and Appropriation of Artifacts. ACM Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI 2018), Stockholm, Sweden.
Karey Helms. A Walk in the Woods: Gear and Infrastructure in the Outdoors. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2018) Workshop “HCI Outdoors: Understanding Human-Computer Interaction in the Outdoors”, Montréal, Québec, CA 2018.
Karey Helms. Implicit Interaction: Information, Intention and Infrastructure. ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2017) Workshop “People, Personal Data and the Built Environment”, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK 2017.
Karey Helms. The Family Circuit: A New Narrative of American Domesticity. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017) Workshop “Making Home: Asserting Agency in the Age of IoT”, Denver, Colorado, USA 2017.
Karey Helms. Phygital Party Mode: A Relationship with Relationships. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2017) Workshop “Designing the Social Internet of Things”, Denver, Colorado, USA 2017.
Karey Helms. The Family Circuit: A New Narrative of Domesticity. Interaction Design, Umeå Institute of Design, Umeå, Sweden 2014.
DIS Best Paper Honorable Mention Award (top 2% of submissions), “Do you have to pee? A Design Space for Intimate and Somatic Data”, DIS’19
OzCHI 1st Place Student Design Challenge Award, “UsTime”, OzCHI’12
Award for Design Excellence from the University of Virginia Faculty of Architecture
Award for Public Service to the School, the University and the Community from the University of Virginia
Member of The Raven Society at the University of Virginia (oldest and most prestigious honorary society)
MSc Thesis Supervision (selection)
• “Designing for and with Care in Multispecies Kinship: Exploring Methods of Decentering the Human in Design“ | Patricia Ciobanu | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2019
• “Strategies for reducing the perception of complexity in a GIS interface“ | Claudia Zelazowska | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2019
• “A GDPR Compliant Address Infrastructure Mobile Application for Ugandan and Rwandan Users” | Lina Modin Larsson | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• “Key Tension Points and Design Guidelines for GDPR Compliance: Designing for a News Service Application“ | Melis Burt Kut | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• Advanced Project Course (DM2799) | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• Interaction Design as a Reflective Practice (DH2629) | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2017
• Media Technology and Interaction Design (DM2601) | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• Human Perception for Information Technology (DM2350) | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2017, 2018
• Human-Computer Interaction Introductory Course (DH1620) | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018, 2019
• CAAD 3d Modeling & Visualization (ARCH 541) | University of Virginia | 2006
• Lessons of the Lawn (ARCH 101) | University of Virginia | 2006
• Design Fiction | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018, 2019
• Implicit Interactions | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018, 2019
• Industry Experiences as an Interaction Designer | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• Agile User Experience | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2018
• Service Design | Umeå Institute of Design | 2014
“Humorous Fictions and Taboo Frictions” | Umeå Institute of Design | Umeå, Sweden
“Internet of Everything. But what is everything?” | Internetdagarna 2017 | Stockholm, Sweden
“Implicit Interactions: Implied, Intangible and Intelligent” | EuroIA 2017 | Stockholm, Sweden
“Insights in Self-centered Design” | Interact London 2016 | London, UK
“Implicit Interaction” | Interaction Design Association (IxDA) London | London, UK
“Making the Invisible Physical” | World IA Day 2016 | Bristol, UK
• Associate Chair Pictorials | Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) | 2018, 2019
• Web Chair | Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI) | 2018
• Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) | 2018 – 2019
• Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) | 2017 – 2019
• Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI) | 2018
• Humanising AI | Stockholm, Sweden | 2018
• Interaction Design Association London (IxDA) | London, UK | 2015 – 2016
• Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) | 2018
• Design Research Society Conference (DRS) | 2014
• PhD Student Council | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | 2017 – 2019
• Design School Student Council | Umeå Institute of Design | 2013 – 2014
• School of Architecture Tour Guide for Prospective Students | University of Virginia | 2004 – 2007
• School of Architecture Student President | University of Virginia | 2006 – 2007
• School of Architecture Student Senate | University of Virginia | 2006 – 2007
• Lawn Selection Committee Chair | University of Virginia | 2006 – 2007