Interaction researcher, designer and technologist venturing to consider, question and invent our past, present and futures
As an Interaction Designer and Technologist fascinated by our everyday human needs and technology interactions, I strongly believe in the ability and craft necessary to both execute and communicate ideas. Within my design process I venture to consider, question and invent our past, present and futures.
Dec 2016 – Current
PhD Student | KTH Royal Institute of Technology | Stockholm, Sweden
Researching Smart Implicit Interaction within the Department of Media Technology and Interaction Design.
Sept 2012 – Jun 2014
MFA in Interaction Design | Umeå Institute of Design | Umeå, Sweden
My thesis sought to critique and challenge society’s relationship with energy through a near future speculative fiction that asked “what if you were required to produce all the energy you desire to consume?”
UrbanIxD Summer School 2013 | Split, Croatia
Participated in an eight day interdisciplinary, workshop-style summer school on urban interaction design through a critical design lens.
Sept 2003 – May 2007
BS in Architecture (High Honors) | University of Virginia | Charlottesville, Virginia
Pursued design studios and electives that focused on kinetic and robotic architectural systems explored through fabrication technologies, physical prototyping and parametric modeling.
Mar 2015 – Dec 2016
Senior Interaction Designer | Zebra Technologies | London, UK
Zebra Technologies is an enterprise IoT company that builds tracking technology and solutions to generate actionable information and insight, giving physical things a digital voice.
* Service Design Lead for multiple Transportation & Logistic co-creation projects
* Ethnographic and user research across enterprise and consumer industries within UK and USA
* UX and UI design for in-house cross-platform interfaces (web-based and mobile applications)
* Synthesize emerging technology trends into actionable insights
* Research, test, and advocate new digital and physical prototyping tools
* Led internal cross-disciplinary workshops on future product development and business strategy
* Co-managed Service Design Intern with Senior Design Researcher
May 2007 – Dec 2013
Interaction Designer & Front End Developer | Self-employed | Washington, DC
Freelanced full-time working directly with clients from contract to concept to deployment.
* Delivered user flows, wireframes, visual designs, and motion graphics
* Developed custom WordPress themes, hosted eCommerce sites, and responsive solutions
* Responsible for direct client engagement and business operations.
Jan 2011 – June 2013
Interaction Designer & Front End Developer | The John F. Kennedy Center | Washington, DC
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is America’s living memorial to President Kennedy as well as the nation’s busiest arts facility.
* Responsible for user flows, wireframes, and front end development of Center’s mobile website
* Lead programmer and information architect for lobby directional and educational interfaces
* Main everyday roles included UX/UI design, motion design, and front end development
* Worked part-time in-house in an agile environment
Aug 2007 – Dec 2007
Architectural Design Assistant | Future Cities Lab | Charlottesville, Virginia
Future Cities Lab is an experimental design studio, workshop and architectural think tank.
* Assisted in the fabrication of a kinetic installation project (VIVISYS) displayed in Chicago
* Participated as part of the Grow [DC] team in the History Channel’s City of the Future competition
May 2007 – Dec 2007
Digital Information Designer | The Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities | Charlottesville, Virginia
IATH is a research unit of the University of Virginia exploring and developing information technology as a tool for scholarly humanities research.
* Responsible for the design and construction of Flash and HTML sites for IATH
* Main roles included user research, information architecture, web design and development
Speaking & Outreach
Speaker | Insights in Self-centered Design | Interact London 2016 | London, UK
The definition of products is transitioning from isolated hardware and software to integrated systems and agents. In order to create these new systems we must not only design the tangible elements, but also the intangible interconnections. Therefore, as Interaction Designers, how do we make sense of and design these ambiguous, emergent, and invisible relationships?
June 2015 – Oct 2016
Assistant Local Organizer | Interaction Design Association (IxDA) London | London, UK
Guest host and assistant organizer for IxDA London chapter events
* Implicit Interaction
* Enterprise IxD: Wicked Solutions for Complex Problems.
* Urban (IxD) Dictionary: Designing for the Contemporary City
Speaker | “Making the Invisible Physical” | World IA Day 2016 | Bristol, UK
Gave a 20 minute talk on personal design projects in which I prototype physical manifestations of invisible interactions from the mundane moments of my daily life. Insights from these playful Internet of Things explorations inform how I makes sense of complex sociotechnical systems and dynamic information exchanges to design meaningful enterprise solutions.
Conference Volunteer | Lift16 | Geneva, Switzerland
For one week I volunteered at Lift conference helping setup before and assisting the stage manager during. I worked closely with speakers during rehearsals and stage technicians to ensure smooth operations.
Lightning Talk | “Making the Invisible Physical” | Push Conference 2015 | Munich, Germany
Gave a 10 minute lightning talk on Making the Invisible Physical.
Conference Volunteer | Design Research Society Conference 2014 | Umeå, Sweden
For four days during the Design Research Society’s 2014 conference in Umeå, Sweden, I was a student volunteer assisting in conference workshops, debates, conversations and paper presentations.
Guest Lecture | Service Design | Umeå Institute of Design
Gave a guest lecture and presentation on Service Design to one year Industrial Design Intensive students.
Teaching Assistant | ARCH 541: CAAD 3d Modeling & Visualization | University of Virginia
Assisted weekly workshops, held personal office hours for individual student aid, graded assignments, and delivered individual feedback.
Teaching Assistant | ARCH 101: Lessons of the Lawn | University of Virginia
Responsible for eight first year students and lead weekly meetings for the introductory architectural design course, graded assignments, and delivered individual feedback.
2013 – 2014
Ställverket (Umeå Institute of Design student council)
2004 – 2007
UVa School of Architecture Tour Guide for Prospective Students
2006 – 2007
UVa School of Architecture President
2006 – 2007
UVa School of Architecture Student Senate
2006 – 2007
UVa Lawn Selection Committee Chair
Selected to exhibit and present thesis at Semcon Student Exhibition in Göteborg
Awarded 1st place in OzCHI 24-Hour Student Design Challenge
Award for Design Excellence from UVa Faculty of Architecture
Award for Public Service to the School, the University & the Community from UVa
Member of University of Virginia’s The Raven Society
I am an avid travel hiker:
Nepal, 20 days Annapurna Circuit (5,416 m / 17,769 ft), 10 days Ganesh Himal
Chile, 10 days Torres del Paine (Circuit trek)
Argentina, 5 days Los Glaciares National Park
Sweden, 5 days Kungsleden (Kebnekaise 2,106 m / 6,909 ft), 2 days Höga Kusten
Columbia, 4 days Ciudad Perdida
Norway, 4 days Lofoten Islands
Peru, 4 days Inca Trail (4,215 m / 13,829 ft)
United Kingdom, 4 days South Downs Way
Panama, 2 days Volcan Baru summit (3,474 m / 11,398 ft)
Indonesia, 1 day Mount Batur (Volcano)
Turkey, 1 day Lycian Way, 2 days Cappadocian Valleys
New Zealand, 1 day Abel Tasman
Sometimes I blog about it: happyspooner.com